Sunday, April 20, 2008

Friends and Family Weekend







What a wonderful weekend we had! We have been planning this weekend in Yakima for quite some time now. The main reason for going was to meet up with Sara and her family and Brittany and her family. Sara and I hadn't met each other's newest additions, so it was due time to snuggle the new babies! We had waited until now (until "spring") so that the weather would be better going over the pass. So what did Dane and I wake up to on Saturday morning? A blizzard...you think I'm kidding but I'm not. I got up around 7:00 am and open the blinds and snow is COVERING the ground, trees, cars...it was so ridiculous. It's the end of April and this is the most snow we've had all year. My first thought was that we might not get to go. I thought it was going to be like this all over the state. I mean, if it's snowing in Olympia, it must be snowing on the pass and in Yakima, right? So I get up and check the pass report on the computer...it said light snow with slush on the road way. After much discussion, Dane and I decided it would be smart not drive with Anna in conditions like this. So I called Sara and Brittany and broke the news that we wouldn't be coming. Sara almost didn't believe me that it was snowing, because she said it was sunny and blue skies in Yakima. What?! I hung up the phone and had a huge pity party for myself for the next half an hour. Then I checked the surrounding areas (Tacoma, Seattle) on the computer...nothing! No snow, no rain, no nothing! We checked the pass report again...snow is slowing down a bit. I made the executive decision that we were going to go. And I'm so glad we did because it was a fabulous trip and the weather was very cooperative.


We got into town Saturday at about 12:45 and had lunch at my grandma and grandpa's house wiht my uncle Jim there too. They all hadn't met Anna yet so she put on a good show for everyone! :) Then we headed to Sara's parent's house where we hung out for the rest of the afternoon/evening and Brittany and Louesa joined us. We had a wonderful time visiting and catching up and fussing over everyone's babies! Sara's kids are getting so big and her newest little Dane is just a doll...I feel so much better now that I've met him! And Louesa is growing like a weed and might be the happiest little girl I've ever met. I think she had a grin on her face the whole time...she is so beautiful! At about 4:30, Sara, Brittany and I left our kids in good hands and went to The Olive Garden for a wonderful dinner and great conversation. I think we all had much needed "girl time".


Dane, Anna and I spent the night at my aunt Karen and uncle Rick's house which was great. We got to visit with them Saturday night and this morning and they got to spend some good time with Anna. Anna was such a good girl all weekend and slept great...we feel pretty lucky that she's so easy to travel with. This morning we headed to my grandma's house so that she could meet Anna. It was a quick visit, but at least the introduction has been made and grandma got to get some snuggles on Anna. :)


It was a whirlwind of a weekend and I'm pooped. We rushed home some Dane could go to work at 3:30, and I've been doing grocery shopping, laundry and cleaning up the house all evening (with the exception of one hour and a half nap!). Anna's asleep and I'm headed there to join her.

5 comments:

Diane said...

Jen...What darling pictures. Anna and Dane are so darling together, but look SO different. I guess it could be due to the fact they have different parents...daaaa.
What a great time you must have had!
Love MOM

tara said...

I am SO JEALOUS!!! I didn't know you had such a fun weekend planned. It's times like this make me a little sad to live down South.
I am so happy that you made the time to get together. Thank goodness for strong friendships.
I love seeing new pictures, too!

Jules said...

Jen it was so fun seeing you and Brittany this weekend with the kidlets. I'm assuming both Anna and Louesa will be future daughter-in-laws. What a good time and it was especially fun getting Brittany's good news!

Brittany said...

What fun to get caught up on the rest of your weekend! We had so much to catch up on I didn't even ask how lunch at Grandma's was.

It was so good to see you--it's made me very excited for July--and it was soooooo good to finally meet Anna!

Sara Jones said...

We did have fun, didn't we. Jen, I feel bad because I think the last thing I heard was a partial story about your work before we walked in the door and became moms again. :-) Brittany, I agree, I'm so glad that July is right around the corner and it'll be a great big reunion!