Thursday, October 2, 2008

Anna's 9 month update

We went to the doctor today for Anna's 9 month check up and just as we had suspected...she still growing. :) She weighed in at 21.2 lbs (90th percentile) and she is 28 3/4 inches long (75th percentile). That's our healthy baby girl!

We did receive some not so good news. It's nothing terrible, just something for me to worry about (like I need extra things on my list). :) Ever since Anna was born the doctor has been keeping an eye on her feet. I guess the whole time she was in my uterus her feet were turned in, so that is naturally the way they want to go now. At every appointment the doctor said he wasn't worried about it and that when she started walking they would straighten themselves out. He showed us a few things to do to try on our own to relax the ligaments and to stretch them out, so we've been doing that. Well, today he said he hasn't seen the improvment that he was hoping for so he is sending us to a specialist at Mary Bridge Children's Hospital to see what he thinks. We may not even need to do anything to correct it, but Dr. Carsley (our pediatrician) said he wanted to at least get the specialist's opinion. He thought it would be good to do it before she starts walking so that it's not a set back for her once that stage begins.

The good news is that it won't take must to correct it if that is what needs to be done. Everything is formed correctly in her legs and her feet have great flexibility but the ligaments just need to be stretched out and be "taught" to stay straight. The bad news is this...if correction is what she needs, that means casts for a couple months on her feet. :-( I'm trying not to get myself all worked up over this because we don't even know what the doctor will say yet. We will just stay positive and hope for the best, but if she ends up in casts I'm sure she will do just fine. I think it will be harder on me then it will on her! It breaks my heart to think about it.

It's going to take about a week to get a referral because apparently the guy who gives them is out with a broken arm so once we get that then I can make an appointment for sometime soon hopefully. I'm just going to feel anxious in the mean time and continue to worry. :) Sounds fun, huh? I'll keep you all posted as we learn more.

Time to get a few things done and then off to bed. Oh yeah...it's our 4 year anniversary today! It's been a crazy day and we've barely seen each other, so we will be celebrating tomorrow night. I worked all day today and then Dane met me at my work to hand off Anna and he took off to coach his football game. We did sqeeze in one kiss in there somewhere! It's after 10:00 o'clock now and he just got home. How romatic! :) I think we might be going to dinner tomorrow night and maybe do a little bowling. I haven't been bowling since before Anna was born and it just sounds fun! :)

4 comments:

Jules said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!! I can't believe that it's been 4 years already, isn't that like 37 in Hollywood years?

As for Anna's feet, even if she ends up in casts it will obviously be a drag but before you know it she will be out of them and it will be just a blip on the radar. A friend of mine had to have her son (another Dane!) on heart medication for the first year of his life and it had to be given twice a day at the EXACT same time of day so there were times they were having to race home to get his meds when they had been gone longer than planned. Now Dane is 6 years old and she said she remembers thinking at the time how hard it was but now it feels like it was over in a blink of an eye. So, I really, Really, REALLY hope she won't have to be casted but kids are so resilient that she'll get used to them in no time and so will you and Dane. Good luck and keep us posted and have a great bowling date.

Sara Jones said...

Hey, welcome to the crooked feet club! I thought I would tell you that the plan for Dane's other foot (the non club but still turned in foot) is orthodics in his shoes once he is walking and keeping him in shoes a lot. Hopefully there will be a non-invasive solution like that for Anna. Let us know when you get your consult.

Angela said...

Jenny,
Doesn't it throw you off guard when you go to your "well child check" and they find something wrong! I hate that, they are perfect in our eyes and that truly is all that matters. I can see where your anxiety comes from, I would be the same way...but like you said, it could be a lot worse. Anna is lucky to have such wonderful parents I am sure whatever happens will all work out just fine. Lucky you have wonderful Sara who is already going through it as a resource! Keep us posted! Oh and Happy Anniversary, I had to laugh when you said, Oh by the way it's our Anniversary...that is SO the way it is isn't it? how funny! Enjoy your much deserved date!!! :) Angela:)

Diane said...

Jen,
You also had "crooked feet" and a couple months in night braces worked wonders for you. I am sure what ever needs to be done, Anna will come out with beautiful, LONG, SEXY legs!!! Oh, Daddy doesn't like the word SEXY for his "little girl" I bet! Kisses and hugs....MOM