Thursday, October 30, 2008

Feet update

After nearly a MONTH of waiting, waiting and more waiting, we finally found out what they're going to do for Anna's feet. Nothing.

This has been such a frustrating process. I've never had to get a referral for anything before and this was not a good first experience. First of all, after waiting two weeks to hear from my pediatrician's office to say we could go ahead and make the appt, I called them to get a status and they had totally overlooked it. Perfect. So after another couple of days, she calls me back and says they've sent the referral and we can now make the appt at Mary Bridge Hospital. To make a long story short, after several phone calls to the hospital and them telling me they needed to see chart notes, etc, the nurse basically told me it would probably be another week or so before the doctor would even say he would see us because "he's not very good about checking his inbox". Awesome. So 8 days later I call them back because I haven't heard a thing from them, and she gets Anna's chart and says "so it looks like the doctor isn't going to be seeing Anna". Of course. Basically, the doctor said that she's too young for him to do anything right now. He wants us to wait until she starts walking and see what happens after several months of her on her feet. We're suppose to have our pediatrician take a look again around her 18 month check up and see what he thinks then. Then if he still wants us to see a specialist we get to go through the whole referral process again. Lovely.

I spoke with our pediatrician and told them what Mary Bridge said, and he did end up calming me down. He said he was on the fence in the first place about having us see a specialist (which I did know) and he just wanted the other doctor's opinion. And he said he got it and that he's very comfortable with waiting until Anna is a little older and then revisiting the issue. In the mean time, Dane and I will work with Ann's feet once a day, stretching and massaging them to encourage them to straighten. Hopefully between that and her just walking her chubby, crooked feet will straighten out right nicely! :)

Sorry, I kind of got off on a tangent...there was nothing quick about that story. :) On to my adorable daughter.

I thought I would share this video that we took the other night which highlights her stellar dancing skills. Anna cracks me up. Any time she starts hearing music she will immediately start rocking back and forth! If she's crawling and music starts playing from a toy or something, she'll either sit down so she can rock or she'll just rock on all fours. It might be the cutest thing I've ever seen. Take a look for yourselves. (Note: She had been giving us quite a performance before I started the video, so she lost interest sooner than usual.)


2 comments:

Sara Jones said...

Jen, that whole process sounds like it was three time harder than it needed to be. If it makes you feel better, that is all we are doing with Dane's other crooked foot. Shriner's feels confident that by age two it'll be straight enough, just from walking on it. Here's to babies who will literally trip over their own feet!

p.s. Anna was a beautiful turtle.

Diane said...

Anna, You call me if you want
Grandma to massage your little
Tootsies!! Love ya.