Sunday, July 12, 2009

A week's worth

I really should blog more often so that when I finally do, I don't feel overwhelmed with stuff to report on! Let's see...where to begin?

Let's start off with the most important update...Anna, of course. :) She went in on Thursday for her 18 month well check (although she's going to be turning 19 months this week)...can that be possible, that she's so old already?! Anyways, the appoinment was not one of the better ones. Anna's okay, but by the end of the appointment I think Dane and I were ready to rip our hair out. I've heard that this is one of the more troublesome appointments for them because by now they're aware of their own space, and the fact that some stranger is trying to pry things up their nose and in their ears does not please her...I don't care how often the doctor says "Oh! Anna, I see a doggie in your ear!" that's not going to make her sit still any more. Anna was into everything, crying for no particular reason, trying to escape out of the room, it was hot and sweaty in there (maybe to just Dane and I!) and at one point the nurse told us that it was like we already had a 2 year old! Then to top it off, the nurse poked her three times with her shots...well that just pushed Anna right over the edge. She was one big sweaty, teary mess by the end. But thank the good Lord for otter pops...the world was a better place once the nurse brought that in! So as far as stats goes, she weighed in at a whopping 27.8 lbs and is 34 inches tall...that comes in between the 75 and 90th percentile for both. A big girl, but at least she proportionate! :) We are getting a referal to see a doctor from Children's Hospital (they staff an office here in Olympia, so we don't have to drive to Seattle) regarding Anna's feet. They are definitely better than 6 months ago, but certainly not corrected. Our pediatrician said that if they are going to do anything, it would probably be casting...sigh. I know that's not the final decision, but the thought of that just breaks my heart. I realize it most likely wouldn't be for too long, but still...my little baby in casts. Augh! I'm not going to get too worked up until we see the specialist and hear what he has to say. I'll keep you all posted.
So my hubby was a busy boy on Saturday. He along with his good friend Zach and two of Zach's friends poured a big concrete patio in our backyard on Saturday! It turned out great and I can't wait to get some use out of it! We use to have one tiny little square of a patio, and then one big flower bed against our house. We all know how I hate yard work, so we decided to pull up all the bed and make a big patio. We'll get so much use out of it, and Anna can ride her little cars around there, and there's so much room for our bbq, and a patio set (which still needs to be purchased) and entertaining...I think it's going to be great! The boys worked really hard out there on Saturday and it shows it! Thank you Dane and Zach and friends! :)

Speaking of house stuff...a quick update on the lake house situation. The offer we put on the house a couple of weeks ago got rejected. They countered at the same asking price and without any contingincies (including an inspection!). We weren't too excited about that so we gave up on that one for now. We'll see if it's still listed in another month or so, maybe we'll give it another shot. In the meantime, there's another one we are looking into. The lake frontage is 10 times better, and the house is...different than the last, let's just put it that way. It was built back in the 20's with an addition in the 6o's I believe. It's older, but in a really cool way. It's funky with charm and character to it. The rooms are good size, new appliances in the kitchen, new windows/coverings...it's got great potential. I'll keep you posted about that one as well! :) It will happen for us one of these days...

So I just have to ask...has anyone else out there been subject to the terrible stomach flu that is going around? Last weekend (of course on the 4th of July) Dane and I were down and out hard core with the REALLY not fun stuff. Dane worked the night of the 4th and came home early around 10:30 because he had thrown up at work. It's VERY rare for either of us to puke, so when it happens you know something is really wrong. He went straight to bed when he got home and was up on the hour every hour getting sick. His vomitting and, er, other stuff, stopped around 6:00 in the morning, and mine started at about 6:30. I was at it until about 2:00 in the afternoon on Sunday and then we were both dead to the world for the rest of the day. Achy, exhausted, sore...did I mention achy?? I think that was a glimpse into what hell would be like. Needless to say Dane's folks came over as soon as Anna woke up on Sunday and took her for the day...THANK YOU Marcy and Kevin! Dane said that is the sickest he's ever been, and I might have to agree for myself. Unfortunately, on Friday night my mom came into town for a quick visit to play wiht Anna, and she left Saturday evening. So I called my mom from my death bed on Sunday and told her we were violently ill, so beware. Yup, Monday at noon I get a call from my mom letting me know she was up puking all night. Oops. :) Thankfully, she never passed it on to my dad, but man, that is some nasty stuff. It seems to be going around a lot, so watch out for those tummy rumbles!

I'm leaving you with some parting pictures. Some are from this weekend, while the boys were pouring concrete, my friend Joanna (Zach's wife) and I and the kiddo's went to the Lacey Community Market (kind of like a farmer's market) and there are some other random cute picutres I thought I should include as well. :) Happy Monday tomorrow!! (Yeah right).
Anna in her new chair, having an apple and watching Sesame Stree...what a life! Isn't that chair adorable? :)
Daddy and Anna playing the lake
Anna playing on the agility course at the Community Market (mostly getting in the way and preventing the bigger kids from doing it!)
Anna and Remy being adorable

6 comments:

Jules said...

Oooh Jen, it must have been the weekend for the flu as Greg managed to pick it up Friday night so got to travel to Seaside Saturday morning pretty green around he gills and needing frequent stops to evacuate his system. A couple of days later Hannah and Lianna succumbed and finally David. A few of the rest of us got a twinge of it but nothing like the other four so we were grateful. A good way to start a vacation though right.

As usual, ADORABLE pictures! I just love pictures in case you haven't been able to tell over all the years you've been in the family.

Jules said...

I had to laugh, the "word verification" I had to use to post the last comment was "purge"! Was that appropriate or what with all the talk about the flu. Too funny.

Diane said...

Jen, Can't wait to see the new patio! I LOVE Anna's chair. She can feel all grown up now.
Love, MOM

Angela said...

Hi Jenny,
I had to laugh at your description of the doc appt. Felt the same way at Gracie's last appt! WHY is it always SO HOT in there! I mean really! Anna is adorable and we still really envy her hair! LOVE the ponytails, how fun. When did she start leaving them in? I attempt to put one in Grace's hair and she immediately pulls it out. Good luck on the house hunt! Sounds fun and like you are being smart and patient, which I know is so hard to do! :) Okay, take good care! Angela

Jenny said...

Angela, I'm so glad someone feels my pain about the doctor's appt. I seriously need to start planning my outfits accordingly...it's all about layers! :)

Thanks for the comments about Anna's hair...I must admit, I really love it too! The only way she'll sit still to let me do it is if I give her the baggie full of rubber bands which she then proceeds to shake all over the place. She has done a good job of keeping them in since I started doing her hair, but lately she hates having them in while in her carseat...I'm assuming it hurts her head.

Gracie's hair is getting there! At least she doesn't have a head full of dark hair in the summer heat! Anna hair is usually plastered to her forehead and feels a million degrees! :)

Sara Jones said...

Ditto to mom's flu post. Yuck. I'm glad you are feeling better.

I'm interested to hear what they say about Anna's feet. I'm mostly curious because they are probably close to what Dane's are now, post treatment. Our docs are really happy with where he is so hopefully you'll get a good report on Anna.

Both Nathan and Dane have well child appointments tomorrow and now you have me on edge. I think the worst is how unpredictable the kids can be. I have some that have been a breeze and others that have left you sweating. Oh, and just so you know, a friend of mine thinks that the terrible twos start at 18 months. So Anna is right on schedule.

Let's chat soon!