Tuesday, June 22, 2010

This and that plus pictures

I kind of dropped the ball on talking about Drew's 2 month appointment and stats. We took him in a couple of weeks ago, and he is taking after his sister, in that he is now in the 90th percentile for weight! He use to be in the 50th and apparently my milk is agreeing with him! :) He weighed 12 lbs 13oz and he measured 23 inches long which is the 50th percentile. He is our growing boy! The appointment went well, and we went in with several concerns that we asked the Dr. about. Turns out, Drew is the lucky recipient of "crooked feet syndrom" (also known as Metatarsus Adductus) just like his sister. As much as I'd like to blame someone else, I have to point my finger back at myself. I had it when I was a baby and I was nice enough to pass it along to both kids. It really isn't anything serious, it's just more doctor's visits and annoying shoes that he will probably have to wear. We are going to bring Drew in to the specialist soon to see what he has to say. With Anna, we waited until she was 18 months before we got the shoes for her (at the suggestion of our pediatrician at the time.) Our Dr. wanted to wait and see if Anna walking on her feet for 6 months would straighten them out...it didn't, so we got the shoes for her which have corrected them quite nicely. Our new pediatrician wants to take a more proactive approach and wants the specialist to look at Drew's feet now. So that is what we shall do. :)

The other item on our list was that Drew is tongue tied. What's tongue tied you might be asking? I had no idea either until our friend Courtney was holding him and said "Oh, Drew's tongue tied". "WHAT?" I said. Apparently the little flap of skin under the tongue that connects the tongue to the mouth is connected out at the tip. I guess years ago they use to clip all infants that had this, but our pediatrician said that isn't so anymore. If the baby is having a hard time nursing or is losing weight, then they would clip it. This isn't the case with Drew. The next thing to keep an eye on is his speech and teeth...I guess it can affect those two things as well. Our doctor doesn't seem too concerned about, so I'm trying not to get worked up about it as well. Anybody have any experience with this or have any opinions?

Here are a few pictures of our growing 2 1/2 month old! Time is sure flying by...






Some other things that we have been up to lately:
Here is Anna and our neice and nephew Cole and Myla during open gym at our gymnastics place. Dane's parents watched Cole and Myla while their parents were in Mexico celebrating their anniversary. I usually take Anna to gymnastics every Friday, so this last week Anna was super excited to have her cousins to play with. Here they are jumping down the trampoline track into the foam pit.
Anna and Miss Myla, probably up to no good!


Here's Mr. Man getting a tubby...he looks pretty stoked (look at that belly)! :) Seriously though...this little boy has stolen our hearts...how cute is he?!
Sadly, my wonderful maternity leave is coming to an end. I have to go back to work on July 1st, which is next Thursday. I know, kind of a random day of the week to go back, but this way I get paid for the 4th of July. :) Plus, I figure it will be a nice way to ease back into things; work for two days and then have a three day weekend. :) I have mixed feelings about going back. Honestly, I miss my work that I do (some of it) and I miss my coworkers. It will be nice to use my brain again and feel needed for something other than potty training and time outs. On the other hand, there are these two amazing little people at home that I am head over heels for and it's going to be excrutiating to be away from them for 8 hours every day. I've gotten use to our lazy mornings in our pjs, eating breakfast as a family and some one on one time with Drew in the afternoons. Anna has still been going to daycare in the afternoon because we were needing to hold her spot for when Drew joined her there (more on that later) so the few hours she was there was a nice time to focus on Drew and bond with him. I'm going to feel like I'm missing out on so much! If you ask Dane if he's ready for me to go back work he'd probably say he was months ago. :) Since he is home all day and then goes to work in the evenings, we have been stepping on each others toes lately. He is use to doing things his way and not getting critisized and then here I come and boss him around. I'd be ready to get rid of me too! It might be a good thing for our marriage for me to head back to work! :) I love you honey!
So the daycare issue...we have decided to make a change, and we're pulling Anna from the daycare she's been at since she was 9 months old. The end of June will be her last day there. They have been great, but in order for us to have Anna and Drew there part time, we would need to pay about $1,000/month for childcare. While we can afford it, we have a hard time forking over that kind of cash for what we need. We really only need someone to watch the kids from about 3:00-5:00 each afternoon. Our wonderful friend Jodi has offered to take on the task, and I really hope that it works out okay. She has a three year old daughter Francheska, and she and Anna play great together. It's going to be an adjustment for her to have an infant in the house again, but she swears she up for the task. We are sad to have to take Anna away from her friends that she has made at daycare, but this way she will still be able to play with a friend each day and have Drew there with her too. Wish us luck!
I'm off to bed; my eyes are drooping shut, and knowing my luck, Drew will be waking up as soon as my head hits the pillow!

6 comments:

Angela said...

Jenny,
Gracie was tongue tied. I didn't notice it until she was like a month or two old. She was nursing fine, but lost suction often and it got annoying. My doc wasn't worried about it either but I was. I went to see an ENT and he gave me the facts. basically you can't make a wrong decision. If it becomes a major problem they just clip it. Well, we clipped it and I am glad. It was very very simple and it didn't bother her a bit. She nursed WAY better after and if we hadn't done it she wouldn't be able to stick her tongue out at her brothers now! :)Don't lose sleep over it though, from everything I read and heard you can't go wrong either way. :)

Jenny said...

Angela, thanks for your advice. After I posted this last blog I actually found a website all about it and I kind of freaked myself out. I know, it's never good to google medical information, but my curiosity got the best of me! It listed a lot of things that "could" or "might" give him trouble in the future if we didn't do anything about it, and I kind of thought "why not just do it?". They made the procedure sound pretty easy (and from your experience it sounds like you would agree) so I am actually leaning more towards asking to have it done. Drew nurses just fine as well, but he does loose suction a lot as well. And you're right, it does get annoying!

Hmm...you give me more to think about. :) Thanks for sharing your experience!

tara said...

I ADORE the picture of Drew during bath time. His head of hair and belly are so super cute!
I'm really glad you've enjoyed your maternity leave, and I'm sure it'll be a big adjustment when you return to work. You have a wonderful family and you will definitely make the best of the situation. Your kids are lucky to have you and Dane!

Angela said...

Jenny i would do it again in a heartbeat, it was that little of a deal to actually have the clipping done. It took 1 second and she cried for 2 seconds. done :)
now she can lick ice cream and honestly she does stick her tongue out A LOT :)
oh yea and Drew is an ADORABLE baby. funny you say you liked the name Max...we liked Drew!!! :) great minds think alike for sure:)

Sara Jones said...

Wow, you guys have so much going on! This is what I have to say:

1. Kids with crooked feet rock! I'm glad you're getting him checked out sooner rather than later.

2. I think the new daycare situation sounds ideal.

3. I'm anxious to hear how returning to work goes. I'll be thinking of you and your kids while you go through that transition.

4. Your kids are adorable. I cannot get over the amount of hair Drew has!! Holy cow! He looks so big!

Sara Jones said...

Wow, you guys have so much going on! This is what I have to say:

1. Kids with crooked feet rock! I'm glad you're getting him checked out sooner rather than later.

2. I think the new daycare situation sounds ideal.

3. I'm anxious to hear how returning to work goes. I'll be thinking of you and your kids while you go through that transition.

4. Your kids are adorable. I cannot get over the amount of hair Drew has!! Holy cow! He looks so big!