Friday, October 8, 2010

My Man

This post is going to be all about my man and how wonderful he is, so if you ladies don't feel like getting too jealous, I suggest you stop reading right now. :)

We celebrated our 6 year anniversary on Saturday, Oct. 2nd. While we didn't do anything too spectacular last weekend, we have plans to go to my parent's house this weekend and we were going to have a night out in the big city of Portland, while my parent's had the kids. Well, my honey surprised me with a doozy!

On Wednesday, I walk out to my car from work and there are 2 dozen red roses on my seat with a note that says "Meet me at Ricardo's after work". Ricardo's is a wonderful Italian restaurant here in town...one of our favorites. So I get to the restaurant and we order margaritas and some wonderful food to enjoy. I couldn't help but wonder why he wasn't at work on a Wednesday. So I ask him "honey, how come we're doing this on a Wednesday instead of a day you have off?" He said this day just worked out the best. Hmm. Okay. Then he proceeds to tell me that our night did not end here, and that there was more in store for us. He told me that he had bought tickets for a comedy show in Seattle that night at the Paramount theater! Wow! After the shock wore off, to be honest, my first thought was "a comedy show? He knows I don't like comedians very much". (not that I don't like to laugh, but I usually don't find them very funny...most of them just find it necessary to cuss the whole time). So anyways, I oohed and ahhed a bunch and we finished up our dinner and got on the road. It's the thought that counts, right?

Our dinner and drive to Seattle together was so nice. It's been way too long since we've had a date night where it's just the two of us enjoying our company. We talked about work stories, ambitions for our future, reminisced about old times, laughed, held hands and kissed. We barely talked about kids, and it was wonderful to finished a sentence without being interrupted. The focus remained on just the two of us the whole time and it was just what we needed!

So we get into Seattle and drive up to the theatre and sure enough, up on the reader board thingy, was the comedian's name, along with some other acts. We park the car and as we're walking up to the door, I look up on the other side of the board and it says "O.A.R." which is one of our favorite bands. I said "Honey, look!!! O.A.R.!! We should come back and see them!" Dane just looks at me with a smile, and I said "Oh my gosh, did you already buy tickets for that too?!" That's when I noticed the date for O.A.R. said Oct. 6th by it. That's when I freaked out because I realized that we were there to see O.A.R. in concert!!! It was the best surprise and it was such a great concert. That was my fourth time seeing them in concert, and it just gets better each time! We enjoyed the concert, dancing and holding hands and just being in love. It was the perfect night.

Well, I take that back. It was perfect until we got home and our kids paid us back all night for leaving them, by waking up multiple times each, to only allow us to get approx. 4 hours of sleep that night! I didn't even get to bed until 1:30 and then Anna woke up crying my name twice and Drew acted as if he was going to die if he didn't get boob twice. All this between 1:30 and 6:30, which is when I had to get up for work. Needless to say, I got a much needed coffee on the way to work, and was pretty much a zombie the whole day. But it was totally worth it and I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Dane has always been a thoughtful and loving man. I thank God for him every night. I couldn't ask for a better dad for our kids and I truly and honestly mean that. There's not one thing I would change about the way he raises our children. He is the first to get down on their level to play and wrestle and laugh. He has the kids all day until about 3:00 or 4:00, then takes them to our friend's house so he can then go work a full night (as if he hasn't been working all day!). He never complains about his day, or how hard it is, or how overwhelming it is sometimes. He has the most patience of anyone I've ever met, and he loves our kids with his whole heart and then some. I come home for lunch every day to spend an hour with them, and he has lunch waiting for me every day (I'm not even kidding), and by the time I get home after work with the kids, he had picked up the house and cleaned up the kitchen, before he went to work. I'm not sure how I got so lucky.

I love you so much, Dane!

4 comments:

Diane said...

Wow, what an awesome time.. I am sitting here with tears in my eyes, so happy for you both! Please cherish your relationship and always keep it top on the list.
The best gift you can ever give your kids is: "a happy marriage between Mom and Dad".
Can't wait to see you all in a few hours.

Kristin said...

This is so fabulous. You are both so wonderful and I'm so happy for you and the life you and Dane have created together. I now have an inkling of an idea of how crazy it can get and how important it is to make time for the grown up couple. You are very blessed to have such a wonderful husband and you totally deserve it. :)

Sara Jones said...

I love this post. Women seem to love ragging on their husbands and it's awesome to hear someone talking about what a great guy their husband is. I agree, you got a good one. HIs patience is amazing too, the times I have seen it in action. I'm glad you guys had such a wonderful anniversary. Here's to many many more!

Jules said...

What a great tribute to a great man!