So, I am in need of some advise from you seasoned mothers out there. How in the heck did you get your kids to drink from a sippy cup? What kind works best to start out with? What liquid did you put in it? WHY WON'T MY DAUGHTER DRINK FROM ONE????
Anna is quickly approaching a year old and I have every intention to stop nursing once that time rolls around. And I am starting to wonder what on earth the girl is going to drink once that time comes. Besides breast milk from a bottle or me, she will not drink anything else. We've tried water, diluted apple juice and formula. We've tried several different sippy cups...one that has the valve in it with handles on each side. She'll grab it correctly and put it in her mouth but she won't suck. She rubs it on her teeth and gums and then shakes it around and proceeds to throw it on the ground. We've tried one that has no valve so the liquid comes out easily without necessarily sucking on it. Once the liquid touches her tounge, she acts like it's motor oil and proceeds to throw that one on the ground. Then someone suggested a cup that has a lid and a straw, so I gave that one a whirl. Same result. She sucked for an instant and thought we were trying to poison her. On to the floor. I'm at a loss!
We tried formula tonight for the first time because now I'm stressing out that my milk supply is running out so we're trying to get her use to it. She drank some out of her bottle, but lost interst quickly. Here's the bottom line: I'm worried that she's not getting enough liquid throughout the day since she's not drinking other stuff besides my milk. I'm starting to have a hard time producing enough for her these days and she NEEDS to learn to drink other liquids. I'm fine supplementing with formula for the next month until she can start whole milk, but who knows if she'll take either!
Any advice???
First Day of School 2015
11 years ago
6 comments:
Jenny, it will come. Just try and relax. She will get thirsty enough that she will drink ANYTHING. I believe that if you are consistent, you will get results. That goes with every aspect of "training." And I know that it is easy to think they will get dehydrated, but that would be an extreme case. Don't give up and good luck! That's my advice. :-)
Have you ever thought of just letting her use a regular cup? She'll need you to hold it for her but I think Dane really would drink motor oil if I let him do it from a big cup, he thinks it's so cool. In the meantime, I would just keep giving the sippy cup to her and she'll come around. Also, mix formula or breast milk or water or whatever with other stuff she eats so that she's getting some fluids that way.
Welcome to motherhood. Honestly, if it's not one thing it's another!
Jen....Have your tried a shot of energy drink? Only kidding..sorry kid, this Momma is too many years out of giving advice..but your "young" friends are bound to give great advice! MOM
I had the same concern with Louesa. I started giving her a sippy at about 10 months. I tried water and diluted apple juice and she had no interest in it at all, but I kept giving it to her. You may remember that she had it for our girls' weekend but never touched the thing.
Once she got to be 11 months old, I started putting cow's milk in it. I know--you're supposed to wait until 1 year. But really--is there something magical that happens on their first birthday that makes it so that they can all of a sudden digest cow's milk? Once it had cow's milk in it, she really took to it. I spent that month slowly weaning her. The more I weaned her, the more she drank out of the sippy. I think it helped that she'd had it around for a while--change just takes time.
If she's drinking from a bottle, then maybe start putting other liquids into a bottle instead of jumping straight to a sippy. You'll have the worry of transitioning her from a bottle to a sippy down the road, but if she's already used to a bottle that may be the real issue you're dealing with.
Good luck my friend! And let us know how it goes!
It will come and when she is thirsty she will drink it. I know it is frustrating though!
One other trick is trying different temperatures, warm, cold etc. I too, started my kids on cows milk around 11 months...they did great and really liked it. I would just keep consistently offering the tippy cup. It will come. Some kids take longer to do certain things. I wouldn't give up whatever you do! :)
Haley uses the nubby at our house and it works pretty good, it has the handles on both sides, I got her one that doesn't have handles for her house and she uses that one ok too. Infamil has an in-between formula thats part cow part formula, makes Haley a little gassy, but she drinks it. Good luck :)
Post a Comment