Saturday, May 30, 2009

A first for everything...

Tonight was officially Anna's first time out. I nearly cried. Dane and I have been discussing this for a while and I've picked friend's brains for when they started time outs with their kids, and when I did it this evening, I even surprised myself. In a couple weeks Anna will be 1 1/2 and she is a smart girl. She knows when she is doing something she should not be and she will look at us while she's doing it. Most of the things aren't a big deal...playing with the t.v., playing with the toilet, turning the dishwasher on, playing with the stove dials (okay, that one is a big deal). We have been very consistent with telling her no and taking her away from the problem. I've been resistant of time outs to this point because I just haven't felt they've been warranted. Anna hasn't gotten into any bad habits such as hitting or biting, etc.

Tonight after a very delicious dinner of dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets, I washed Anna's hands and put her down in the kitchen. She started wandering right over to the stove which was still cooling down from being on. She wouldn't back away when I asked so I stood in front of her to block her and she didn't care for that. She started whinning and pushing my leg then she pinched and scratched me! I've never seen that response from her before. I thought this was a good opportunity to introduce time outs.

I sat her down on the first stair and told her she was in time out for pinching mommy. I walked away and stood a few feet away from her and waited a minute or so...and let me tell you...it wasn't easy for either of us. She was bawling and looked so pitiful. Her face was heartbreaking and she knew she was in trouble. After what felt like 1 hour I walked over to Anna (who was holding her arms out for me) and gave her a big hug and sat her on my lap. She was having a hard time calming down so I just gave her kisses and told her I love her. Then we made our way upstairs for her bath to wash away all the bad memories. :)

I'm not sure my heart can take this.

6 comments:

Brittany said...

You're smart to start now. I wish I'd nipped several of Louesa's bad behavior habits in the bud long ago. As hard as it is to see Anna in time out, believe me it is harder later on when they are not as cute and have a much bigger attitude!

Diane said...

WOW...I am glad I get to be the Grandma and spoil Anna....good job Jenny....we don't want a "biting and scratching" Anna!!!! Next thing she would be getting expelled from day care...only kidding!

Jules said...

You did good Jenny! It is SO much worse one Mom and/or Dad but Brittany is extremely right. If you let it go too long it becomes so much harder to break and I bet you have only isolated incidents from this point on because Anna did not like the feeling of you being upset with her. I remember reading a Dr. Dobson article when my girls were small and he talked about how early you need to start disciplining your kids. He said if you haven't started by the time they are two that it will take a LONG time to turn them around as 2 year-olds are VERY strong-willed and 3 year-olds are worse in my opinion. You guys are fabulous parents and Anna is a delight and she'll remain that way because you guys are insuring that. It IS hard and your heart will break every time but you have to remember that she IS a sweet girl because you guys see to it. I know it was tough on you, because you're tender-hearted as well, but people will always enjoy being around your whole family because you're raising a nice girl. Good luck and you DID do good, don't ever forget that.

Sara Jones said...

The time outs get easier the naughtier they get. :-) Doing the dirty work now means you'll have a daughter people will want to be around later. Good luck my dear!

Angela said...

Well I just GOTTA comment on this one! Time outs suck and I have done my fair share. Yes they break your heart but Good Job. Discipline is LOVE. :) Oh, and I am SO impressed that she just stayed there. My kids first time outs took forever because they kept getting up...oh wait a minute that was just month with my 3 year old...dig your heels in now Jenny because it has only just begun. :)

Jules said...

Jen, this has nothing to do with your blog but I just saw your comment on one of Sara's blogs where you thought it was sweet that Aubrey had a little friend over. Well at least you soon realized who it was, I DID NOT!!! When Hannah was looking at the pictures later I said I wondered who the little girl playing with Aubrey was and Hannah gave me the "duh look" and said "You mean Nathan in his best tutu?" Shame on granny! I didn't feel quite so bad when Lianna admitted the same. He sure is a cute girl though right?